17 November 2008

The Technology

All the benches have been put in now and I'll put up photos of them once I have them.

I haven't blogged the technology that has gone into The Studio yet. There aren't any photos of it, because most of it you can't see as it's hidden.

Doorbell: I needed to be able to respond to people at the front door no matter where I was. I have large doorbell on the front of the house labelled The Studio which is attached to a wireless unit. At my end, I have a handset that is wireless, so no matter if I'm in the house or the Studio, I can respond to whoever's buzzing and let them know that I'm on my way.

Networking: I have three cables running down a pipeline through the garden to the guest house at the back of our house. These will be attached to a switch which will pick up one cable running to the main house. Only two of those cables will probably be used to start off with (but Zandy says he'll set up Voice Over IP for me in the future if I want more sophisticated telephony up there). They will feed into a wireless switch which will also feed four cables that run through the walls over to my main work space. So, I'll have wireless and wired up there.

I also have a 16-port switch that will hang on the wall over my work area. This will allow me to have my two printers networked, plus my network attached storage as well as my main desktop and secondary laptop attached and still give me plenty of space for having customer's computers on the network. I have a nice, large screeen for my main desktop so that I can watch DVDs while crafting.

Telephone: I have a DECT wireless booster that allows my digital phone to reach up to the Studio. The phone system has an intercom facility, so Zandy can call me from the house if he needs me.

I'll blog more about the technology as it starts to go into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment