28 March 2009

I'm learning to let go

Spending all my waking hours with Dad is suffocating him - he says he doesn't want people to sit around and watch him die, which we're not - so I've been finding things to do and music has always been a great escape for me.

Two of my sisters sing with the University of Western Australia Choral Society (UWACS) and they are currently rehearsing the Mass in B Minor by Bach (lots of notes), so I trailed along to rehearsal with them last Wednesday night. Last night, we went to see the Perth equivalent of The Sixteen perform it. The group is only 18 members strong, but they are all professional singers. The choir was fantastic. The Alto and Soprano were okay (enunciation is a good thing, people!). The orchestra was reasonable but they were mostly students from what we could gather (there is no listing in the programme) and they were using early music instruments and to quote my sister Susan "Bach is the reason more modern instruments were invented"

It was performed at St George's Cathedral which is gothic-style but made out of brick, not stone as the only local stone is Limestone and I'm not sure it would be strong enough to hold up that style of structure.

But it was warm. I'm determined to not be like a Wingeing Pom and complain about the heat, but even some of the locals were leaving because it was too hot. Yesterday's daytime temperature was 37 Celcius (98.6 Farenheit) and the Fremantle Doctor was late arriving (about 3am) so the evening was warm. I had taken a light jumper with me just in case the clear skies heralded a cooler night. I needn't have bothered.

1 comment:

  1. Your writing is so beautiful and touching. It saddens me to hear about your father, and I wish both of you all the best.

    ReplyDelete