1 March 2009

Experimentation Time


I've been doing some experiementation over the last two days - the studio is clean and orders from Stitches have been sent off to dispatch.

This first experiement was a result of a failure - and I coudn't let it go until I'd found out a solution. I ran a sheet of brass through a Cuttlebug embossing folder to produce a fantastic, highly detailed image. But I wanted to crackle it and Distress Crackle paints won't stick to metal. So, I coated the embossed metal with black Gesso, waited for it to dry, then sanded it down to expose the brass underneath. Next time, I know to paint a thinner coat. Then I glooped (that must be the technical term, right?) Black Soot Distress Crackle Paint over the metal and left that to dry. There is a very fine crackle as a result. I sanded it back again, but was unhappy that I couldn't see the crackle all that well because of the black Gesso underneath. So I painted over it with Gold Precious Metal (from Vario), working the paint into all the cracks, then wiping it off the surface before it had a chance to dry thoroughly. I love the effect and the photo just doesn't do it justice.

To finish it up, I wrapped two pieces of gold ribbon around the bottom, stamped a PaperArtsy image in Versamark and embossed it with Ranger Super Fine Detail Gold powder on black cardstock, vcut around the image and mounted it with Pop-Up Glue Dots (Glue Dots UK). I couldn't find my gold mirror card, so I mounted it on a Tomato Paste tube which has been flattened in my Wizard and used the Glue Dots to mount it on a Black Glossy (Ranger) card.

This next piece was more of an experimentation. I met a lovely company at Stitches called Vario (when I find a like to their website, I'll put it up here) and they very kindly gave me some stuff to take home and play with.

This is an A5 gessoed canvas that I picked up from Hobbycraft. I base coated it with Turquoise Precious Metal paint, then stencilled Tim's Time Masks with Gold Precious Metal Paint. I let the whole lot dry thoroughly, put Tim's Time Masks down again and smothered Vario's Transparent Croco (crackle medium) over the top and let it dry. I came back this morning and the cracking is very impressive. However, the transparent Croco had dulled down the Precious Metals, so I went back over with a paint brush and repainted the Gold and Turquoise in.

These mediums are fantastic. The Precious Metals will adhere to all manner of surfaces: glass, ceramic, wood, metal and can still be used in normal applications. They're water-based, so the brushes simply was out. The Croco is best applied with a spatula or foam brush and laid down really thickly. The label says at least 2mm, but I applied it a lot thinner than that in some places and got a beautiful crazed look to the crackle. The best bit, is that I can paint over the transparent to give it colour in particular places. The leaflet even shows it being used on glass. Wow!

Again, the photo just doesn't do this justice. I can't see a way of getting the glistening effect to show up in a photo. You'll just have to come to my studio to see it for yourself.

5 comments:

  1. Both projects are great, those I must confess that I'm partial to the card at the top. I especially like the fact that you used recycled materials (tomato paste tube). Gotta save those landfills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three words: fab u lous! Yes, most definitely, "gloop" is a technical term. Your experiments really did turn out gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the card Judi reminds me of old leather on brass would a base coat of acrylic dabbers work ? what can you say about the canvas it's LUSH !! this new product is so different from the crackle paint.
    Von

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both works of art are Beautiful Judi. Thanks for sharing. Audrey Huffman
    http://myinkyfun.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Judi!

    Both pieces are gorgeous. Great rescue or whatever you call it.

    Stella

    ReplyDelete