6 December 2007

Shrink Plastic - the world 10 times smaller



This is not a great photo because I don't have any artificial lights that I can use with my camera and at this time of year, the moments of good natural light are few and far between.

I was recently asked to teach a class on shrink plastic. This was supposed to be one of the items that we'd do in the class (although my plan had been to get the students to colour and decorate theirs) but it takes nearly two sheets of plastic to do this and I neglected to mention to the store owner that she needed to get in lots of shrink plastic.

It uses one of the Creative Expressions trunk box stamps, stamped onto shrink plastic four times with either StazOn or Jet Black Archival (if you're using Jet Black Archival you need to leave it for longer to set). Each panel is then cut out and decorated, then shrunk independently as you can't get shrink plastic to bend once shrunk - well, not easily. These are stuck together using a really strong glue. I've used E6000, but that is so difficult to buy in the UK. Any good strong glue that dries clear will do the job. I started by sticking the front and back panels to the bottom. Then I stuck the flaps to the front panel and the flaps inside the box to the back panel. The flaps for the bottom were stuck on the outside. Then, I stuck two of the little tabs to the edges of the top panel, waited until it was dry, then attached the flaps to the top panel on the outside edge so that I could angle them outwards a little so that they would fit neatly over the top.

3 comments:

  1. Where/when will you be teaching this? I most likely won't make the class, but thought others might like to know!

    JLo - USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know when I'll be teaching a shrink plastic class again. But as soon as I know, it'll go up here now that I can upload photos again!
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice Judi! can't wait to see your new and exciting stuff for CHA, hoping you'll post some sneak peeks here.

    ReplyDelete